Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple Spice Waffles


I’m a huge breakfast person. I always need to start my day with something remotely, well, breakfast-ish. Whether it be a piece of fruit, a bowl of oatmeal, or a big omelette covered in mozzarella cheese, my day cannot begin properly without the most important meal of the day. Just a couple months ago, I was staying in a hotel the day Mother Nature decided to blizzard outside. When we went downstairs to grab some breakfast at the hotel, I was told they had moved on to the lunch menu. Me being persistent, I drove out into the arctic weather and got as far as one mile before I pulled into a Wendy’s drive through to break down and cry. Mission failed.
I’m pretty consistent with my breakfast regiment, but it’s fun to change it up once or twice a week. That’s why I was eager to try this healthy, low-fat, whole-wheat apple spice waffle recipe (try saying that five times really fast). They’re great to make on a Sunday morning when you have free time to treat yourself to a delicious breakfast. While you need to invest in a cheap waffle iron, I’m sure you can try to be innovative and see how they turn out as pancakes (although I can’t guarantee success!).

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp of Nutmeg and/or Allspice (optional)
  • 1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese
  • 1/2 cup egg substitute
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp applesauce
  • splash of vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup of apples (your choice)
Preparation:
  1. In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
  2. In a different bowl, mix together yogurt, cottage cheese, brown sugar, egg substitute, water, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
  3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, while stirring in the apples.
  4. Bake in a waffle iron. If batter is too thick, add more water.
recipe credit to UK Food Network

No comments:

Post a Comment